Dallas, Texas, May 1, 2019 – The Salesmanship Club – host of the AT&T Byron Nelson – announced the final sponsor exemption selections today to round out the eight spots available to play in the 2019 AT&T Byron Nelson set to tee off for “More Than a Game” May 8-12 at Trinity Forest Golf Club in Dallas. A field of 156 players will vie for the $7.9 million purse, the $1,422,000 first-place check and 500 FedExCup points.
The final unrestricted exemption selection is Dallas native, Scottie Scheffler. Scheffler played golf at the University of Texas where he helped the team win three Big 12 championships and graduated in 2018 with a degree in Finance. In 2017, he was part of the U.S. Team that won the 2017 Walker Cup and one of only two amateurs to make the cut at the U.S. Open. Scheffler is currently ranked 3rd on the Web.com Tour and had five top 10 finishes in 2019.
Alvaro Ortiz, Davis Riley, Ricky Barnes, and Lucas Bjerregaard were also awarded exemptions. Current Latin American Amateur Champion, Alvaro Ortiz, finished his four years at Arkansas last year with a degree in International Business and decided to stay an amateur on his parent’s advice that there was no rush. Ortiz then waited nearly a year to turn professional, so he could play as one of the six amateurs at this year’s Masters. This made him the first player to represent Mexico at the Masters since Victor Regalado in 1979. The AT&T Byron Nelson will be his second PGA TOUR event since moving to professional status.
Davis Riley forewent his final semester at Alabama in 2018 after nine top-5 finishes and a collection of junior golf achievements. He came to Alabama with two runner-up finishes at the U.S. Junior Amateur and represented his country at the 2014 Junior Ryder Cup. In 2019, Riley has had four Web.com Tour starts, most recently finishing in the top 25 at Country Club de Bogota Championship.
“Something I love about the PGA TOUR is that our field of play changes every week. Unlike other sports, anyone can have a 50-yard-line seat at the same price, and every field is different,” said Tournament Director, Jon Drago. “Our field this year will bring a little bit of it all – up and coming players, local flavor, American and International Stars, and a former NFL quarterback testing his skills – all to bring fans a fun, entertaining, major sporting event in the City of Dallas to raise funds for Momentous Institute.”
The 2018 AT&T Byron Nelson champion and current PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year, Aaron Wise will return to defend his title this year. Other current commitments include current U.S. Open and PGA Championship Champion, and #3 in the world Brooks Koepka, alongside Dallas-native Jordan Spieth, Marc Leishman, Ryan Palmer, Charles Howell II, Rafa Cabrera-Bello, Henrik Stenson, Jimmy Walker, and Hideki Matsuyama. Commitment deadline is May 3rd. Click here to view the full current field list.
What to expect at the 2019 AT&T Byron Nelson:
- On-Course Patio Bars: The AT&T Byron Nelson is proud to announce a partnership with Katy Trail Ice House to offer spectators a brand-new pavilion experience. The Katy Trail Ice House Pavilion (all ages) will be located in the middle of the action at the corner of 4 green and 5 tee and remain complimentary with all tickets. The open-air, beer garden-style venue will include outdoor patio games, Katy Trail Ice House menu favorites, and areas to watch golf, emulating one of Dallas’ favorite hot spots with nearly 20 trees from Fannin Tree Farm shading the patio deck. Fans can also enjoy complimentary access to the Grey Goose 19th Hole (21 and over) located at 13 green, 14 tee.
- Golf Viewing Areas: MD Anderson Cancer Center, the Official Cancer Center of the PGA TOUR and AT&T Byron Nelson, will provide additional public shade structures, covered stands, and free SPF 45 DRIVE sunscreen at eight stations throughout the course. The last four holes will have shaded viewing areas near the action. All spectator pathways will also receive an anti-dust treatment prior to the tournament.
- Ride-share: The ride-share lot will be located across from the main entrance. Spectators using ride-share services will be dropped off and picked up in a designated area, within a short walking distance to the main entrance.
- Tickets: General admission tickets are $45 per day, Thursday through Sunday. A wide range of hospitality packages with food and beverage, VIP seating, air-conditioning, and premium viewing options are also available on a limited basis. For additional information, pricing and purchase options for all ticket packages visit our website here.
- Volunteering: The AT&T Byron Nelson relies on more than 1,100 dedicated volunteers annually to assist with the execution of the golf tournament. There are a variety of volunteer openings – from gate ambassadors to laser operators, or standard bearers. If you are interested in learning more, please visit our website here.
- Complimentary Admission for Tournament Preview Day: The Hilton Anatole Pro-Am is played Wednesday, May 8, and is complimentary for all spectators.
- Complimentary Admission for Military, Police, Fire, & First Responders: It’s an honor for us to provide all military, police department, fire department and first responders with complimentary admission for themselves and a guest each day of the tournament. Tickets must be requested online here ahead of time and will be available for pick-up at will-call. Patrons 17 and under also enjoy complimentary admission.
- Parking: Once again, general parking, included with all tickets, is at the State Fair of Texas parking lot at the 2100 Block of South Haskell. The entrance to the parking lot is at the intersection of Haskell and Beeman. Trinity Forest Golf Club is located nine miles south of downtown Dallas, just off Interstate 45. Complimentary parking and shuttles will be provided. Additional details can be found here.
- Complimentary Shuttles: In addition to the complimentary shuttles provided to general public parking at the State Fair of Texas, complimentary shuttles will also be provided from the main entrance to our partners at the Happiest Hour and the Katy Trail Ice House in Uptown at the end of each day. Happiest Hour is the official after party of the AT&T Byron Nelson.
- KidsZone presented by Momentous Institute: Families can take a break inside the air-conditioned family favorite, KidsZone, presented by Momentous Institute while enjoying free games and crafts. Activities will include putt-putt, air hockey, and brain activities that teach children that their brain is important, and that they have control over it. It has also become a rite of passage for Momentous School students to participate in the tournament. They will caddy for the pros Wednesday morning as well as marshal on Saturday from 1-3, and two 5th grade junior reporters will cover the tournament from the media center all week long.
- Mother’s Day Weekend: We will be celebrating moms all weekend with special merchandise, giveaways, and more!
- Bush Institute’s Warrior Open Presented by AT&T: The Bush Institute’s Warrior Open at the AT&T Byron Nelson will be held May 5-6, 2019. The Bush Institute’s Warrior Open began in 2011 for United States military personnel seriously wounded or injured since September 11, 2001.
- FAQ: For a full list of frequently asked questions, please visit: http://attbyronnelson.org/faq/
About the AT&T Byron Nelson
The AT&T Byron Nelson is a premier PGA TOUR event, hosted by the Salesmanship Club of Dallas since 1968. The tournament has raised more than $160 million over the past 51 years, making it the most financially successful charity event on the PGA TOUR. All proceeds from the tournament benefit Momentous Institute, the nonprofit operated by the Salesmanship Club since 1920. Momentous Institute works side-by-side with over 5,500 children and family members each year through its nationally acclaimed Momentous School, innovative therapeutic services, and reaches thousands more through its research and training.