Dallas, Texas, April 15, 2018 – AT&T Byron Nelson announced today that Akshay Bhatia, Ricky Castillo, Gerry Jones, William Moll, and William Vick are the 2019 Byron Nelson International Junior Golf Awards winners.
This year’s winners are among the world’s top junior golfers and will be presented awards at the AT&T Byron Nelson that tees off for “More Than a Game” May 8-12 at Trinity Forest Golf Club in Dallas. Award winners enjoy a private awards dinner with their families and Mrs. Nelson, a custom trophy signed by Mr. Nelson, and a behind-the-scenes look at the tournament.
Akshay Bhatia (Wake Forest, N.C.)
Bhatia has one of the best junior records in history. He is ranked #1 in the American Junior Golf Association, a 2018 AJGA 1st Team Rolex Junior All-American, 2019 Jones Cup Invitational Champion, and was a member of the 2018 Junior Ryder Cup Team. He maintains a 4.0 GPA, volunteers with church and local non-profit organizations, and plans to turn professional rather than attend college.
Ricky Castillo (Yorba Linda, Calif.)
Castillo is currently ranked 4th in the American Junior Golf Association rankings. He was also a member of the 2018 Junior Ryder Cup Team. Ricky has been on the honor roll for four years, and plans to attend The University of Florida. He also volunteers to help the homeless.
Gerry Jones, Jr. (Suffolk, Va.)
Jones has received numerous golf awards including the 2018 USGA-AJGA President’s Leadership Award, the 2017 National First Tee Outstanding Participant Award, and Wells Fargo’s 2017 “Succeeding Together” Essay Contest (the prize included playing in a Pro-Am with Phil Mickelson). For his academic achievements, he also has received 2018 National Beta Club Recognition, the 2017 Shell Oil Company Scholarship, and 2014-2019 American Junior Golf Association Leadership Links Program Award and is planning to attend Hillsdale College in Michigan where he will play on the golf team. Jones is a product of The First Tee of Hampton Roads. He became a member at the age of five and continues to volunteer, mentor, and serve as an ambassador today. He is also an accomplished violinist who regularly performances at local retirement homes and hospitals.
William Moll (Houston, Texas)
Moll is ranked 10th in the American Junior Golf Association rankings, 2018 AJGA 1st Team Rolex Junior All-American, member of the 2018 Junior Ryder Cup Team, and 2018 Southern Texas PGA Junior Golfer of the Year. He is also a member of National Honor Society and volunteers his time with Houston Food Bank and church mission trips. He has signed his national letter of intent to play at Vanderbilt University.
William Vick (Houston, Texas)
Vick is ranked 5th in the American Junior Golf Association rankings, 2018 AJGA 1st Team Rolex Junior All-American, 2018 AJGA Junior Players Champion, and 2017/2018 TAPPS 4A State Champion. He also is a four-year National Honor Society member and volunteers his time for autism awareness and fundraising. He has signed his national letter of intent to play at University of Texas.
The Byron Nelson International Junior Golf Awards were created in 2008 to recognize the achievements of junior golfers around the world that excel at a high level of tournament play as well as academics, outstanding character and dedication to community service. The awards honors Byron Nelson’s legacy and his commitment to mentoring and supporting young golfers.
Past recipients: Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, Cody Gribble, Emiliano Grillo, Scottie Scheffler, Denny McCarthy, Sam Burns, Wyndham Clark, and Dylan Fritelli
Past winners have gone on to win Masters, U.S. Opens, British Opens, PGA Championships, PGA TOUR events, European Tour events, NCAA National Championships, USGA Junior Amateur Championships as well as participated in Ryder Cups, President’s Cups, Walker Cups and Junior Ryder Cups.
What to expect at the 2019 AT&T Byron Nelson:
- On-Course Patio Bars: The AT&T Byron Nelson is proud to announce a partnership with Katy Trail Ice House to offer spectators a brand-new pavilion experience. The Katy Trail Ice House Pavilion (all ages) will be located in the middle of the action at the corner of 4 green and 5 tee and remain complimentary with all tickets. The open-air, beer garden-style venue will include outdoor patio games, Katy Trail Ice House menu favorites, and areas to watch golf, emulating one of Dallas’ favorite hot spots with nearly 20 trees from Fannin Tree Farm shading the patio deck. Fans can also enjoy complimentary access to the Grey Goose 19th Hole (21 and over) located at 13 green, 14 tee.
- Golf Viewing Areas: MD Anderson Cancer Center, the Official Cancer Center of the PGA Tour and AT&T Byron Nelson, will provide additional public shade structures, covered stands, and free SPF 45 DRIVE sunscreen at eight stations throughout the course. The last four holes will have shaded viewing areas near the action. All spectator pathways will also receive an anti-dust treatment prior to the tournament.
- Ride-share: The ride-share lot will be located across from the main entrance. Spectators using ride-share services will be dropped off and picked up in a designated area, within a short walking distance to the main entrance.
- Tickets: General admission tickets are $45 per day, Thursday through Sunday. A wide range of hospitality packages with food and beverage, VIP seating, air-conditioning, and premium viewing options are also available on a limited basis. For additional information, pricing and purchase options for all ticket packages visit our website here.
- Forest to Fairway 5K: Join us for the inaugural Forest to Fairway 5K presented by Baylor Scott & White Emergency Hospitals on April 27, 2019 at Trinity Forest Golf Club. This 5K provides runners the unique experience of running through Dallas’ Great Trinity Forest (the largest urban forest in the U.S.), as well as the tournament’s home course, Trinity Forest Golf Course – combining the elements of a traditional 5K with the elements of an easy trail run. Full registration details here.
- Volunteering: The AT&T Byron Nelson relies on more than 1,100 dedicated volunteers annually to assist with the execution of the golf tournament. There are a variety of volunteer openings – from gate ambassadors to laser operators, or standard bearers. If you are interested in learning more, please visit our website here.
- Complimentary Admission for Tournament Preview Day: The Hilton Anatole Pro-Am is played Wednesday, May 8, and is complimentary for all spectators.
- Complimentary Admission for Military, Police, Fire, & First Responders: It’s an honor for us to provide all military, police department, fire department and first responders with complimentary admission for themselves and a guest each day of the tournament. Tickets must be requested online here ahead of time and will be available for pick-up at will-call. Patrons 17 and under also enjoy complimentary admission.
- Parking: Once again, general parking, included with all tickets, is at the State Fair of Texas parking lot at the 2100 Block of South Haskell. The entrance to the parking lot is at the intersection of Haskell and Beeman. Trinity Forest Golf Club is located nine miles south of downtown Dallas, just off Interstate 45. Complimentary parking and shuttles will be provided. Additional details can be found here.
- Complimentary Shuttles: In addition to the complimentary shuttles provided to general public parking at the State Fair of Texas, complimentary shuttles will also be provided from the main entrance to our partners at the Happiest Hour and the Katy Trail Ice House in Uptown at the end of each day. Happiest Hour is the official after party of the AT&T Byron Nelson.
- KidsZone presented by Momentous Institute: Families can take a break inside the air-conditioned family favorite, KidsZone, presented by Momentous Institute while enjoying free games and crafts. Activities will include putt-putt, and one of Momentous Institute’s favorite tools in teaching children their brain is important, and that they have control over their brain – the “Brain hat”. Momentous Institute School students will caddy for the pros Wednesday morning as well as marshal on Saturday from 1-3.
- Mother’s Day Weekend: We will be celebrating moms all weekend with special merchandise, giveaways, and more!
- Bush Institute’s Warrior Open Presented by AT&T: The Bush Institute’s Warrior Open at the AT&T Byron Nelson will be held May 5-6, 2019. The Bush Institute’s Warrior Open began in 2011 for United States military personnel seriously wounded or injured since September 11, 2001.
FAQ: For a full list of frequently asked questions, please visit: http://attbyronnelson.org/faq/
About the AT&T Byron Nelson
The AT&T Byron Nelson is a premier PGA TOUR event, hosted by the Salesmanship Club of Dallas since 1968. The tournament has raised more than $160 million over the past 51 years, making it the most financially successful charity event on the PGA TOUR. All proceeds from the tournament benefit Momentous Institute, the nonprofit operated by the Salesmanship Club since 1920. Momentous Institute directly serves over 5,500 children and family members each year through its nationally acclaimed Momentous School, innovative therapeutic services, and reaches thousands more through its research and training.