As I have mentioned before in this blog the PGA TOUR Player is only required to play in 15 events each season and there are 44 events on the schedule. Typically they play in 20 to 25 events so they “skip” half of the events on the schedule. Today I will review what the Salesmanship Club does to entice the players to play in the HP Byron Nelson Championship.
First of all the course, the schedule and the amenities of the Four Seasons Resort and Club in Las Colinas is a draw. The hotel offers luxurious on-site rooms, great restaurants, a spa, elaborate work out facilities and a world class practice area. If that wasn’t enough we try to do a little more …
- Each player in the field receives a Cadillac courtesy car for the week and does not have to return it until after the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial, if they are playing in both events.
- Each player is offered free laundry service. This is important to guys who are going to be on the road for weeks on end.
- On Tuesday afternoon we host a Texas barbeque at the practice facility offering quail, lamb chops, sausage and smoked brisket. This is offered to players, caddies, equipment reps, agents, swing coaches etc. These folks are all stakeholders on the PGA TOUR and we want to thank them as well.
- On Tuesday night we offer “Date Night”. We host the players and a guest at Via Real, a gourmet Mexican style restaurant right across the street from the Four Seasons. They dine on our nickel in a separate room with only tour pro’s in the room. We offer late night day care for their children so if a player and his wife want to have a night out they can do it without worrying about the kids. We have been told that no other tour stop has this event.
- Each player and their spouse can get a complimentary massage at the Four Seasons Spa.
- Each player can get a complimentary haircut at the Four Seasons Spa.
- A concierge service is setup in the dining area to help with area attractions, sports tickets, etc.. for the family.
In deciding whether to play an event the player will always consider where it falls on the schedule and how well he plays the course. Obviously we make this extra effort to get him to select our week just in case he is still on the fence. If the wife and the caddie have any influence on his decision we want them to say: “Play the HP Byron Nelson”.